How to Choose/ Buying a Good Rims

Choosing or Getting a good rims is the main step to building a good wheel, or selecting the right pre-built wheel. While the hubs and spokes are important, the rims have the biggest effect on how the wheel rides. Trust me, been through shit!

I been through from Enkei 15” stock standard rims, upgraded to 17” pure Pegasus VIP rims. It was a nightmare for me because I went for BEAUTY instead of Fuel saving and Performance. While using the 17", You get all the attention on the road because it looks so huge! But, nightmare started to kicks in one by one.

It had the looks but the performance dropped drastically. Had no choice but to switch it back to 14” metal rims. Definitely, I have the torque to go for it. However, it wasn’t a good choice as I downgraded to an inch smaller than the factory standard. 

The 17" Pegasus VIP Rims - It was too heavy and I used to Touge a lot. Therefore the brake hose got busted due to the heavy rims.



Know what kind of wheels you're building or buying.

Ask yourself if you are building training wheels, race wheels (what kind of race, TT or circuit), all around wheels or just the cheapest wheels you can find. Work on your budget so you can maximize your wheels.

The never out of trend - Metal Rims of 14" - it was Awesome! because you practically dont have to worry how you scratch it or wat so ever.

Choose the correct rims for your driving style and usage.

Buy lightweight carbon rims for climbing, but don't if it's the first wheel              you ever change
Buy deep carbon rims for time trailing.
Tubulars are for races and retro bikes, not training
Buy light aluminium clinchers for all-around and racing wheels
Buy heavier aluminium clinchers for training and cheapness.


At the end of the day, your choice, your style of driving and most importantly is your budget that matters.

At the End of the day. I went for Japan Lightweight rims . Dont mind the design because it is nothing fancy. I just want it to suit my driving style and finally, I move it back to 15".


Popular Posts