Being a Female Car enthusiast is tough

“This car is not for a girl.”
“Why are you even into that? It’s a guy thing.”

ITS ALL ABOUT GENDER EQUALITY
Its all about Gender Equality in the world of Motorsports and Passion for Cars.

Being a Female Car enthusiast is tough, especially since it’s a male dominant field. But you know when it becomes even tougher? Being a Female Car Enthusiast and not many people around us that actually understand our passion and hobby.

My passion for cars started from a young age. Being heavily influenced by my dad, who was heavily involved with fast and rally cars, the first car that I wanted to own when I was a kid, was either Honda DC2 or EVO 6.5. So when I graduated highschool, it wasn’t shocking that I wanted pick up Automotive Design. It would be the next natural step for me . But it didn’t end up that way.
In 2003, I got my licence. The first car I had was Perodua Kenari. I didn’t really want the car, but since I had no other option and no job, my hands were tied and that Mitsubishi EVO 4 was sitting at home and I am not allow to drive it.

I am a believer that your car is a reflection of who you are. And the Kenari? Wasn’t even close to defining me. So it wasn’t until I got my first job, and my first salary, that I began being interested into changing the car to make it look more like “me”. The rush of the sudden financial freedom, meant that I could pretty much do what I wanted. So the first thing I spent my salary on was brand new MOVE Bodykit. 

It was here at this moment that began my mark as a car enthusiast. I realized that by modding the car, be it just by appearance, kind of makes you develop a relationship with a car. To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

 “It’s what non-car people don’t get. They see two-tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber. That’s all they see. People like you and I, have an unshakeable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car. And that’s what non-car people don’t get.”

Fortunately for me the Kenari stayed with me for almost 6 years. So the next thing I laid my hands on was the Perodua Myvi. And my god, it is wasnt beauty. The car itself just screams because I know how much I will be spending on modding this beau to what I wanted. YRV is the next standing in line.

At this point of time, I wanted to move into another sector of relationship. Which I been eyeing on Nissan Fairlady 350z. I know, it is an old car. Simply because it has less electronics and way look too good with the Rocket Bunny Bodykit. Getting that car aren’t the problem, turning into your prince charming is the main issue.  And trust me, being a female and our hobby aren’t cheap at all.  A set of bodykit can cost up to few handbags from Louis Vuitton.  Mind the 19” rims can cost up to probably 10 handbags from Coach too.

Most Idiots will think that being female knows nothing but Expensive Car LOGO. You are totally wrong about it. There are small percentage of female in this world know how to appreciate the meaning of true car. 

I am a grown adult. You are a grown adult. So get your brain in gear and start thinking. Just because you were born with XY chromosomes does not give you the right to undermine my capabilities/knowledge, to judge or to talk about me. The Automotive industry is not mutually exclusive for men. Not in the rest of the world.
HELLO FROM MALAYSIA

HELLO FROM TURKISH
HELLO FROM INDIA

GREETINGS FROM ARAB


I will continue to do what I do, despite what anyone thinks. If you think I’m a tomboy? Well, I really don’t care. You don’t like what I drive? Guess what? I don’t care either. What I do hope for though is for this society to grow up, and start respecting each other. Start supporting each other. How is any progress supposed to be made when all people are hating and trying to destroy one another? Be supportive. Be respectful. As a gearhead, I am no different than anyone. We are all joined by our passion for cars, the smell of burning petrol and rubber, the sound and power your engine makes, so we should not let any differences, especially ones that we have no control over, like our gender, come between that. 

What I do have to say is thanks to all my female and male friends/family who have been supportive through my ongoing journey in this field. You are awesome and I hope this society learns from good hearted people like you.

Comments

Popular Posts