A day in the life of a Motoring Blogger

Oh well, as soon as I tell people I blog about cars for passion and first thing I am usually asked is “Can I have tickets for the F1 Race”.



From the outside looking, it rather sounds and look glamorous because of the car reviews, gifts from the industry, and exclusive excess and glamorous pictures with the racers.

First of all, all of that is true. To some extent, I am not going to patronise anyone and claim it is a physically demanding, mentally and stressful job because it is isn’t. It is the easier passion that I am indulging in a lifelong fascination.

How does I start my day? So, in any day of my typical work that involves my blogging coverage, it involved driving to somewhere absolutely hot, running up and down to get the best shot, enjoying box meal, either taxi ride or driving all day long and the write about the car when I have finished, right?

Lol!!! NO, not just that. Being a motoring blogger is like taking your passion and your blog to the serious level of review. Like any job there more involvement. As I was once the official interviewer for Sepang International Circuit to all the Racers/Riders.

Once, I had checked in to SIC or places I need to run the car for review. I often have an hour to kill before thing get started. I always make sure I update my social media to get the ATTENTION “hello, I am reviewing a Subaru or Hello, I am at SIC as MEDIA”.

Usually, I have no restriction on how long I can occupied the car unless otherwise. As I sat behind the wheels with excitement, I don’t normally re use the route I uses for the previous review.  I have to look at the car, the history, and the unique selling point of the car before I choose my route.  That allows me to feature every details of the car.

Unlike Taxi Ride during the race at the circuit, I have got to second guess what the key points I will need to feature in the review. You will be only in the car for max 1 lap. That is where you will need to feel the suspensions, the tyres, the aerodynamics and etc etc etc.

While I was driving a car for review, I will constantly making mental notes on how the car ride and handles, tones about engines and gear shifts ratios as well as the car’s characteristics. Thus, with electronics, what all the buttons and knobs do, how the seat go forward and fold, what the visibilities like or …..It go on and on and on and on. As a blogger and we don’t forget update the social media status.

Once the event or review ended, I will be crafting 650 words and beyond. It is easy enough to experience Motoring Journalist but it wasn’t easy for me as together I have my actual job to do.

Publish, Planning, PR, Photography, Press Release…These are my check through needed every time, every day.  I review whenever I feel like it and if there are PRs involvements. 

Yes, I mentioned I was once the SIC official Interviewer. Guess what, it was the toughest job ever. I walked into the pit, waving at the racer with a big smile approach. As they need to hit the lane for practice laps and I have to take up approximately 15 minutes of their time for an interview just for media publishing.  It wasn’t easy as I can see how eager they want to start their engine and head off instead of publicity. 

Why do I blog about this because if you think being a motoring blogger is glamorous. There is no fast lane to be Jeremy Clarkson. If what I have described sounds like something you would like to do,go for it and Be the real Motoring guy!

Comments

Popular Posts