Women Behind the Wheels



Just that phrase alone sparks debate, philosophy, even anger. Are there enough women influencing the top echelons of the sport? If not, why not, and what can be done about it? Women in Motorsport.

Yvonne Yap is the unfamiliar name to everyone but a unique identity in the world of Motorsports. Motorsport is one of the few sporting activities in which men and women can compete alongside each other on an equal footing, yet as they currently make up only eight percent of registered licence holders, women are hugely under-represented among competitors.

You must first love the machine, the speed and the whole of motorsport.



I did not wake up one morning and transform overnight from a noob to motoring publicist but determination, persistence and frequent personal reminders of my dream concocted the position I am in today. 

If motorsport is ever going to achieve its full potential as a product, it needs to appeal to and be inclusive of  the widest possible demographic. That means it’s just as important to engage women as it is men.

People laughed at me when I started writing about cars but it took a few to notice I am into something.Lately, I get emails from unknown racers asking me how to find budgets. From photo shooting, public appearances arrangements and lots of PR works need to be done. I stay up until the early hours finishing proposals for sponsors. That’s the kind of commitment you need. I admit I am very fortunate to be fast enough and in the right place at the right time, but it's proof that it is achievable. I honestly think it’s just a matter of time before the balance is a lot more even, but whether that’s 10 years, 20 years or even longer than that, I just don’t know.


Every human being only lives once, so why not live life doing what you love? There is endless truth to the saying, “Do what you love and you won’t work a day in your life.”

Imagine the dream, believe the dream, and endlessly pursue the dream.

One can choose to be their biggest cheerleader or their own worst enemy. Each person has unique talents and capabilities; capitalising on and maximising your skills are valuable assets to making your dream a reality.

It was a message which combined both respect for the past and hope for the future.


Achieving personal dreams can be daunting, but each individual’s goals are what set them apart as unique. Challenge yourself to imagine the dream, believe the dream, and endlessly pursue the dream.


Because what is life without dreams and what is living without pursuit?

Comments

Popular Posts